Friday, June 10, 2011

cafe racer

or not quite a mid-life crisis but more a mid-minute crisis...



A while back I saw a motorcycle cruise by my work, and I remember thinking that I really liked the style of that particular bike. I remember thinking that if I had to ride one that that would be the one I could ride. Then it got me thinking, "what's stopping me from getting a motorcycle?" I've always just thought that I would never have one. That it was just some intangible thing. Something out of my league. But I never really thought about why. So what IS stopping me? I could save up. I'm a grown man. I can make decisions on my own. What's stopping me? And then for no more than a minute more I thought through what is stopping me. Money. A wet climate. A worried wife. Money. They are dangerous. Money. So I quickly realized why I probably don't own a motorcycle.

But fun fact, I saw this kind of bike again and the owner of said bike happened to be a Peet's customer. So I asked him about his ride. Turns out they are called cafe racers which got their start in Britain in the 1960s where young rebellious rockers would modify their motorcycles for speed so they could race from one cafe to the next. I'm a barista so this is perfect. So some day. Maybe.

1 comment:

Free and Living said...

So not more Motorcycle Mike...it's Cafe Cruiser Steve-o now.