Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I have a fear with my new bike.  Not my general "get hit by a car door" fear but one very specific to my bike. You see, my current bike has a coaster brake much like the beach cruisers you can rent at the boardwalks iinstead of the more common lever brakes. I just simply need to backpedal to engage the brakes. Pretty simple and it didn't take me long to get used to. So what is my fear? Well, this coaster brake is my only way of stopping which means if the chain for what ever reason decides to skip off the sprocket I would be at the mercy of friction and gravity to stop me. Well my worst fear came to pass yesterday afternoon.

I should have seen it coming. I remember looking at my bike two night before and thinking that the chain was looking a little loose. "I should probably tighten that up soon." There is a stretch of road on my commute to work that is loaded with cracks and bumps. It's pretty jarring. I remember thinking that if my chain where to ever skip off the sprocket this would be the spot. I could have almost predicted what happened next. With the cards stacking up it was only a matter of time.

It was a sunny afternoon. The morning clouds finally burned away. I was heading home after a long day of work. Riding up hill past the mid-century ranch homes with the well manicured lawns. Past the smell of the soccer field that rushes me back to the many hours I spent passing, shooting, dribbling. Past the max train and car lots. Golf course and the smell of bbq chicken on the grill. Over the freeway and into the mt. tabor neighborhood. I'm more than half of the way home. Feeling good. Maybe a little hungry. I get to that hill. The one mentioned before and begin my decent. I'm not more than a quarter of the way down when it happens. The chain skips. The pedals moving freely. I'm now cruising down this hill without brakes. Gaining speed. I tried to slow the wheels with the bottom of my shoe but I am moving too fast now. I try to turn down a side street to level out but again I'm too fast for a safe turn. I decide to bail. I look for a soft spot. 3-2-1 JUMP!

I'm sitting on the sidewalk now. I biker passing by asks if I'm ok. "Yes, I think" I have more rosemary on me than a roasted chicken. I stand up. Dust myself off. A man walking up the sidewalk inquires of my health. Again I say I'm fine. He says I am in shock. I reach down to pick up my bike and blood begins to pool in my hand. My elbow is bleeding pretty bad. Thankfully I packed a bandanna. I wrap my arm and evaluate the rest of my body. Everything else seems to be in place. Just the elbow. The man, Peter, offers to drive me home. I humbly accept.

It could have been worse. I'm fortunate it wasn't. Just need to nurse this cut on my arm. Needless to say I will be swapping out my coaster brake for something more traditional very soon.

1 comment:

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

So thankful you were not seriously hurt - but that pride... I know it must have been hard. :/
Glad to read you again. Fears are such an ongoing frustration - fear of doing the right thing, whether it be taking care of bikes or moving from one end of the country to the other. God knows. He Sees. and sometimes the struggle in getting the answers are the reason we go through it. Not in the answer themselves. I think Jacob must have felt that way when he wrestled with God. I have so many fears/wrestlings/confusions/praises/joys/breath holdings/sighs of relief/and even giggles of delight that He always walks through with me. HUGS! Feel free to come and visit anytime. the offer hasn't changed.