Monday, February 09, 2004

Jesus is my Homeboy

i am sure you've seen those t's being wore around with the "Jesus is my Homeboy" written across the front. well, before i go any further with this i must confess that i have a t-shirt of similar genre with "jesus surfs without a board" written on it purchased from the ever popular urban outfitters where you can also find bobble head Jesus and action figure Jesus, which my roommates and i out at tech shared. they seem funny and innocent enough and i understand that there are probably very convincing arguments as to why these things could be good or bad for christiandom but for right now i am not really sure i care much for the "Jesus is my homeboy" perspective. the reason i lean this way, i think, has to do with the suburban context of living i am surrounded by. to me, the mentality of Jesus being my homeboy seems to breed only apathy and carelessness. it lacks the reverence i think we've been easily neglecting. as i watch the Christians around me act and interact i don't think the idea of a comfortable, informal Jesus is what we need. i think some peoples worlds need to be shaken just a little. it's kind of like when tim mention people referring to God as the "man up stairs." that if we truly knew God we probably wouldn't refer to Him that way. i realize the risk in blanketing such a statement and i am sorry if i have offended any one of you but again realize that this is in the context of my surroundings(which i guess only really includes the people who read my blog). i don't think i am about finished on this topic but i do need to get ready for work. the over all point being that i think our worship, and i am just as much at fault, lacks reverence. ouch! sorry, shouldn't have said that.

No comments: