Thursday, November 18, 2004

dark to light...

9:00am. this seems to be my start time nowadays. i had such good intentions on getting up at 8:00 but somehow i ended up hitting the snooze button...six times. i slid on my running shorts, laced up my asics and went for a run around the block. Today was literally just that. A run around the block. I haven't gone running since Monday and who knows when the last time I ran outside was. Usually it's on a treadmill, nice and flat terrain in an air-conditioned room with a tv in front of me. It's cool and brisk this morning. A mist escapes my mouth when I breath. i stretch out and take off down the road. I feel good.

I felt good...

My legs are burning now. The mist is thicker with each heavy breath I take. I’m not doing so hot. Almost home.

Home now. Sweating like crazy. I make a shake and then get on the computer to check my e mail. I get one from a friend who brings so much encouragement to my day. She reminds me that we are God's workmanship, His poem, His masterpiece, His creation. this comes from the book of Ephesians chapter 2 verses 8-10 which ironically is the theme verse for our youth program at church. it's funny how you can sometimes preach all year on a certain topic and then forget to apply it to your own life. she also mentioned the contrast of light and dark (epheisans 5:8-10). it's because of our darkness that we are able to see the light. i realized this a little more clearer one afternoon earlier this year while sitting on a pinic table at pine cove looking out over the lake. it had been rainy all day but as the sun was setting the clouds started to break and the contrast of the dark rain clouds and the bright light of the sun was incredible. i quickly sketched out the trees in front of me. it was where the darkest of dark met with the lightest of light that the sharpest, most clear contrast could be made. it was radiant and intense as the light over took the darkness.
i was once a child of darkness but now i am a child of light. Praise be to God who causes all things to work for good to those who are in Christ Jesus and who will perfect His good work in us until Christ's return.

No comments: