Wednesday, February 02, 2005

fed by ravens...

in first kings chapter seventeen the prophet elijah hits the scene and tells everyone that its not going to rain until he says so. nice entrance. so now that the ball is rolling for elijah and his new prophet gig, God tells him to go and hang out in the wilderness for a few, drink from a stream and be fed by ravens. i can't help but wonder what might be going on in his head. i know if it were me i would be saying, "but God, we're just getting started here. didn't you call me to go and speak to these people? why are you sending me to the wilderness?"

i can't help but think that often times in ministry God sends us into the wilderness for a period of time. when the fruit of our labor isn't as evident and the work isn't as tangible. we are provided for in unattractive ways such as by ravens or simple things like the stream. these times can seem confusing but i must remember that the Lord knows the plan for my life even when i don't. plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give me a future and a hope.

like the psalmist i pray that it is the Lord and not i who establishes the works of my hands.

No comments: