Tuesday, October 26, 2004

When the warrior embraced me...

"It was long ago, I remember it still, that i was hewn down at the wood's edge, taken from my stump. Strong foes seized me there, hewed me to the shape they wished to see, commanded me to lift their criminals. Men carried me on their shoulders, then set me on a hill; foes enough fastened me there. Then i saw the Lord of mankind hasten with stout heart, for he would climb upon me. I dared not bow or break against God's word when i saw earth's surface tremble. I might have felled all foes, but I stood fast. Then the young Hero stripped himself, that was God Almighty, strong and stouthearted. He climbed on the high gallows, bold in the sight of many, when he would free mankind. I trembled when the Warrior embraced me, yet I dared not bow to earth, fall to the ground's surface; but I must stand fast. I was raised up, a cross; I lifted up the Mighty King, Lord of Heavens: I dared not bend. They pierced me with dark nails; the wounds are seen on me, open gashes of hatred. Nor did i dare harm any of them. They mocked us both together. I was all wet with blood, drenched from the side of that man after he had sent forth His spirit. I had endured many bitter happenings on that hill. i saw the God of Hosts cruelly racked. The shades of night had covered the Ruler's body with their mists, the bright splendor. Shadow came forth, dark beneath the clouds. All creation wept, bewailed the King's fall; Christ was on Cross.

this piece of text comes from an old english poem called The Dream of the Rood. the author is unknown. the story is anthropomorphic written in the perspective of the cross. what grabbed my attention was when the Cross says, "i trembled when the Warrior embraced me." In the same sentence the author not only reveals Christ's compassion but also calls Him Warrior. A characteristic the Jews wanted and something i think the modern christian often neglects. when espn was broadcasting out of iraq a few weeks ago the general of the army would greet the soldiers by saying, "good morning, warriors." what if our pastors greeted us the same way?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me.