Sunday, April 18, 2004

and they will know that we are christians by our t-shirts...

i've never really been a big fan of the whole door to door evangelism. to me it can seem so impersonal. the other day some J. W's came to my door with their program. i wanted so badly to just talk with them but every attempt at a conversation was cut short by them reciting their rehearsed scripture. i could hardly get a word in. i admire their courage and willingness to go around like that but to me it just seems so akward. i took a few tracks and sent them on their way.

so the other night i was hanging out in deep ellum with some friends and there were these guys with t-shirts reading christians on soul patrol standing outside the gates of concert. they where handing out what i could assume to be tracks. i didn't take one but instead told the first guy i am saved and the second one i encountered that i am a brother. neither one reacted but continued to hand out tracks to the next person. i guess i was kind of looking for a mini celebration or something with my new "christian" friends. you know, like a "no way, that's awesome" or maybe even a "praise God" from these guys. nothing. never even made eye contact with me. kind of bummed me out. even though what these guys where doing goes totally against my "what's with the tape on your nose" method, i'm not going to bash them for it. (maybe just their choice in t-shirt slogans) however, i will say that i have noticed in my life that when i come with my own agenda and set plans i just feel busy and burnt out. this is more of an aside thought than those said above but at any rate, i would be more prone to share a drink and conversation with someone than go door to door. i guess that's where the "my agenda" and personal relationship thing don't seem to match up to well in my life. i hate being busy. making time for other people is almost fuel for my life. lately i feel like i've been running a little low.

No comments: