Thursday, April 29, 2004

Has it come to this? i am standing in a room with no place to sit. it's crowded. everyone's there but i am alone.
he's standing in front of me wearing a brown corduroy jacket and dark aviators. he's passing a note to a girl behind us. i say, why her?
he says, she's just the one i saw.
cool.
somehow i am the link between their conversation.
we are all rubbing shoulders now. our bodies getting pressed up against the stage.
next to me she is searching in her purse. pulls out a pack of cigarettes and lights one up. takes a drag and blows smoke towards the ceiling.
she yells at the band that she loves sex
i say, nice camera. she is using a canon ae-1 program. i have the same one.
she says her step-dad was a photographer for aerosmith.
great story.
i notice her shirt and i ask her if she has heard the new modest mouse cd.
yes, it's awesome.
behind me a tired girl rests her head on my back.
i tell her it will all be over soon. i don't know why she felt like my back would make a good pillow.
the music is flowing through the room now.
to my left is scarlett johansson or at least i thought she looked like her.
she tells me that centromatic is a promising band.
i think they sound kind of post-petty. maybe even a little country. i don't really care for the style but i tell her i enjoyed the show.
now death cab for cutie, the band i came to see, is up and creates a sound that moves the room and my soul dances for the next hour. scarlett's hair bobs back and forth as she sways to the music.
i close my eyes and for a moment forget about all the people pressed in around me.
i leave after death cab performs and step out into the warm night air. my ears buzzing, still filled with music, but outside its quiet. i smell like smoke. i'm alone again. i begin walking to my car. a girl stumbles down the side walk as her boyfriend takes pictures of her. hustlers are hustling the hustle; caught off guard.
as i sit in my car, neon signs and street lights walking by, i feel a peace. i feel good. i realize i am addicted to music. i put off school, work, maybe even friends to go listen to some music, and yet while neglecting the obvious constructs of our society, i experience a part of reality one could never be taught in school. i was able to connect with those around me through the music. it's amazing the effect music can have on you when it's in tune with the strings of your heart and those around you.
it has come to this.

No comments: